|Welcome||Planning||Important Dates||Things to do at Home||Gallery|
Welcome to our Reception Class page, where we love to learn through play! Please check regularly to find out important dates and to find out what we have been working on in class. I am looking forward to working together so that your child has a very exciting and productive year.
Click here for a copy of the current newsletter.
Starting Reception is a very important and exciting time for children and parents. Here in Reception we offer the children lots of opportunities to learn and explore through play within our continually changing provision areas (indoors and outdoors). The children will learn through a mixture of adult led and child initiated learning, both of which are as equally important in a child's development
Our topic for this half term is 'Down at the Bottom of the Garden'
Click here for the Curriculum overview
Things that you can do at home to help your child are to:Reinforce the sounds covered each day in class by completing the sound book sent home - practise the sound of the letter and the correct formation of the letter (Letter formation sheets will be sent home).
- Practise name writing. Please make sure your child uses lower case letters except for their initial letter.
- Share reading books, discussing plots, characters and their feelings, as well as simply decoding the text.
- Look over key words (sheets sent home) with your child and encourage the recognition of these words in any order.
- Draw your child’s attention to numbers in their environment e.g. telephones, door numbers, car number plates etc. Count things around the home. How many windows do we have etc?
- Encourage your child to dress themselves for school and take their uniform off at the end of the day to promote independence.
- We use the Letters & Sounds phonics programme at St Margaret Ward
http://www.mrthorne.com/ - very useful for pronunciation of sounds
http://www.phonicsplay.co.uk - lots of free phonic based games
http://ictgames.com/literacy.html- more phonics games
Pocket Phonics: a super resources for teaching letters and sounds including reading, writing and spelling.
Doodle Buddy: a paint app which helps develop hand eye coordination.
Bee Bot: an app which helps improve directional language (forwards, backwards, left right etc.)
- Every child must bring a coat to school
- Every Child must bring their reading file into school every day
- We use our outdoor provision daily so wellies are essential, please bring in a pair to leave in school!
- Please label everything!
- Now summer is here, please can we ensure that the children have a hat as our outdoor provision will be utilised more.
Can you help?
- As we are further developing the role play area we offer within the classroom, any dressing up clothes in good condition would be greatly appreciated.
- If you have any materials spare at home, such as buttons, fabric, pasta shapes, ribbons etc, you would like to donate we would appreciate them for use in our craft area.
- Outdoor resources – crates, guttering, pipes, fabrics, all in good condition would be greatly appreciated to help further develop our outdoor area.